April 13, 2023 Ajay Maanju
- Create a subdomain or a sub-directory on your hosting account where you will host your staging website. You can do this by logging in to your c Panel or other hosting control panel and creating a new subdomain or sub-directory.
- Install WordPress on the staging server using the same version of WordPress that you are currently using on your live website. You can do this by using the auto-installer provided by your hosting provider or by manually installing WordPress.
- Install a plugin like Duplicator or All-in-One WP Migration on your live website. These plugins will create a backup of your website that you can use to migrate it to the staging server.
- Create a backup of your live website using the plugin you installed in step 3. This backup will include all your WordPress files, database, and settings.
- Download the backup file to your computer and then upload it to the staging server using FTP or the file manager provided by your hosting provider.
- Install the same plugin you used to create the backup on the staging server and then use it to import the backup file you uploaded in step 5.
- Once the backup is imported, update the site URL in the WordPress settings to match the URL of your staging server. You can do this by going to Settings > General and updating the WordPress Address (URL) and Site Address (URL) fields.
- Test your staging website thoroughly to ensure that everything is working properly. You can make changes to the staging website without affecting your live website.
- Once you are satisfied with the changes you have made to the staging website, you can migrate them to the live website. You can do this by following the same steps you used to create the backup and upload it to the staging server, but in reverse.
- Once the migration is complete, test your live website thoroughly to ensure that everything is working properly.
Remember to take a backup of your live website before making any changes to it, and keep in mind that any changes you make to the staging website will not be reflected on the live website until you migrate them.